You may have heard about the exploding Dell laptop batteries (or you may not have). Well, it happened again, this time in an Illinois office. The link to the original post and photos is getting hammered by the traffic, but here is the Google cache of the post.
The one in Japan happened a month ago and was on a desk. This happened on a desk, too, but imagine this on your lap... ouch! I'll stick with my Toshiba for now, thanks!
For a demonstration of an exploding battery, see this Google Video of an over-charged Lithium Ion Polymer (LIPO) battery.